Monday, June 30, 2008

Help in the heat

This air conditioner deal has really been quite a trial to me. It is not the most exciting thing to toss and turn and sweat the whole night through. I've forgotten what it was like when we lived here 3 years without AC. I must say it has been a wonderful blessing to have it as it helps us "cope" with the cultural and ministry stresses. It makes those stresses seem bigger when we are half-dazed due to our nightly encounter with the heat battle.

Last week one day I was praying and pouring out my heart to the Lord telling Him how frustrated I was about the situation. These verses came to my mind: Philippians 3:7-8 "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ."

I had to face the question: Am I willing to count even that which seems gain for me (a good night's sleep in a comfortable temperature) as DUNG? After some time in prayer, I finally came to the resolution, "Yes, I would count it as 'dung' for Christ's sake!" I wasn't really looking forward to the nighttime sleeping battle, but I would rest in the Lord to help me whether I slept or not!

The Lord has been gracious to us the last few days and relieved us with some thunder showers. It dropped the temperature by 10-15 degrees! Instead of 88 when we went to bed, it was 78 last night. How good God is to His children! He does reward His children, but, I believe, after we're willing to suffer all. I'm sure many hot nights are yet to come, but I will endure as a good soldier of Jesus Christ with God's help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Doug and Kim - just wanted you to know that I occasionally (when the girls are sleeping) read your blog! I read the post about the 18-children family. Umm. We're not going there either.
Have a great day! - Karen Long

Steve Hight said...

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten back to your e-mail and its questions. I read it during a busy weekend in Trenton, NJ, and then had the long trip home, arriving last night, and today was a catch-up day that didn't catch it all up. I'll get to you soon, though.

Blessings!

Doug and Kim Hoffman said...

Karen, it was great to "hear" from you. Hey, just think about how it would be to have 18 farmers! :-)