Thursday, April 24, 2008

Birthday surprise

Yesterday was my birthday and my sweetie outdid himself this year.

I had thought about going to a ladies' Bible study in the morning. I tossed the idea over and over trying to decide between lady fellowship and duties at the house that should be attended to since this week is our spring break from school. I told Doug the night before last, "I don't think I'm going to go to Bible study. If I go, it will take one more day away from getting things done here."

I awoke early yesterday and the electricity was off. I knew I wouldn't get laundry or much of anything done till it came back on, so I decided to go to the Bible study.

Doug picked me up at the Bible study and when I went to the truck, the kids weren't in there! I said, "What did you do with the kids?" He said, "Okay, kids come out now." I said, "Yeah, right. Like Jonathan would be quiet all that time."

He told me that the kids were at some friends of ours and he was taking me out for lunch and shopping! Wow! I love to shop, but rarely pleasure shop here. Since the city is so busy, we only purchase the necessary things and don't take the time to browse much.

He asked me where I wanted to go and my choice was Wendy's. I got a chicken club sandwich combo. Mmmmm! I haven't had one of those sandwiches since we left the States 7 months ago! Yes, they have Wendy's here, but we don't eat there very often because we try to be very frugal. I also had a vanilla Frosty. That was the best in the world! You have to understand we don't get ice cream here very much either because of the high price. It was so yummy! I had been planning to go home and make ice cream for my birthday, but this was better!

From there he took me to a big department store where we bought the children some needed play shoes.

When we got home, they had a cake waiting for me - not decorated. It was vanilla with chocolate frosting. Doug said the children helped him make it.

Doug said I about ruined his plans when I said I wasn't going to the Bible study. He said he prayed that I would change my mind. God answered His prayer! I wonder how long he lay awake praying. :-)

It was a very special day and fun to be spoiled by my husband. :-)

3 comments:

Boog said...

Happy bday, girl. I'm so glad you got a surprise for you special day. Sometimes it's hard for our guys to surprise us as we usually know all!!! I know you're kids were thrilled with being able to surprise mommy as well. You have a beautiful family. And yes, God has truly blessed us, my dear friend. I'll never forget all our years of growing up "together" and the many laughs and tears we've shared.

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday..

sankey family said...

How sweet - your birthday was special!