Monday, May 18, 2009

Rain and company

Today is a BEAUTIFUL rainy day! Beautiful? Yes, beautiful!! Why? Because it keeps the heat down, it makes everything quiet because not many people venture out (you understand that as you look at their roads and drainage system), and it makes we ourselves feel like just "staying in". Yes, I have learned to enjoy a good rainy day in the tropics. I have never enjoyed them more than I do here.

Doug has spent a good part of the day working on deputation schedule, and I spent a good part of the day grading so I can give the children a final grade on their subjects.

Saturday night we had company and yes, I forgot to take pictures. So you'll have to imagine with me. We invited Rosana & Edward, a couple who we've been friends with for a long time. They used to attend church, but don't anymore. They love American pizza, so we made homeade - almost the only kind we eat here. I can't count the homeade pizzas I've made. We have it often as a family and for Dominican company.

This might sound wierd, but a typical pizza topping for Dominicans is corn. So I made 1 pepperoni for us and one of mushrooms, peppers, and corn for them. They loved it! I don't know what it is about corn on pizza, but they think it's the greatest. They were surprised when we told them Americans don't eat corn on their pizza. They couldn't figure out why since we grow so much corn. That is a thought!

As I ate the mushroom, pepper, and corn pizza topped with cheddar cheese since I ran out of mozzarella, it reminded me of a stuffed pepper with the corn mixture. It actually was kind of good. I couldn't believe even my children liked it.

Regina made brownies from scratch all by herself for our company and they were excellent. It is a joy to have people in our home, teach my children to serve, and hope that our guests will leave with more food than just what they take home in their bellies. May they see Christ in us and a hunger for Him.

No comments: