Saturday, October 02, 2010

Sights from the D.R.

In the D.R. there are some very beautiful sights, like this beautiful blue sky......


.....and then there are some not so nice sights, like this trash pile. The country is just like that. It is a very pretty country, but after you've been here, you realize there are pockets of the not-so-nice stuff which is what makes life challenging here. It's those things like the trash piles that remind you that you are in a 3rd world country. :-) Not to mention the daily electrical outages.

We were up on an overpass when I saw these seagulls on top of this sign. I hope they were not the ingredients for KFC. :-)

Now that is a load of plantains! This is a typical sight here - trucks piled high with....you name it. Plantains are similar to a banana and are delicious when they are deep fried green (sort of like a french fry taste) and also delicious sliced and fried when they are yellow (sort of like a sweet potato). Dominicans eat LOTS of plantains and we have come to really enjoy them.

This was a picture I put in of Doug's 35th birthday cake. Daughter and I made his favorite - chocolate with peanut butter icing - and she wrote the words on top with a marker-like decorating pen. It was really neat.


No comments: