The other day I was joyful to be able to stay inside in our nice air-conditioned living room and go about my cleaning while it was blistering hot outside. My mind traveled to the Dominican Republic remembering the many, many days that I didn't have such luxury. I still had to go about the cleaning and household duties, but with sweat running down all sides of my body. Soon enough I'll get to experience that again.
In the D.R., we do have an air conditioner in our bedroom, but we try to run it only at night since electricity cost 3 times more per kilowatt hour there than it does here. And it only runs when the electricity is on. On the nights when the electricity is on, we get a good night's sleep. On nights when it is off, we toss and turn and sweat, which leaves us feeling groggy the next day.
At times it is worth the expense just to turn the AC on in the bedroom for a few hours during the day and get a break from the heat. Other times we just endure trying to cool down with ice pops, cold drinks, and fans.
It has been hot here, but this is pretty much the norm in D.R with just a bit more humidity. If you want to get a taste of what we live in year round, just turn your AC off and sweat. At night, again turn your AC off and enjoy tossing and turning and sweating.
I realize not everyone may have AC, but honestly everyone I can think of here in PA has AC in their living rooms and bedrooms, if not their whole house.
Thank God for the blessings we enjoy here.
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment